Sun Dried Tomato Raw Cashew Cheese
This raw vegan cashew cheese made with nutritional yeast takes about five minutes to make in your food processor or high speed blender. It's super easy, but packed with nutrition and can be used as a cheese like spread for crackers or bread, or enjoyed as a dip for crunchy veggies.
Nutritional yeast is an amazing food. Something I discovered several years ago when I began exploring plant based recipes. Because it imparts a cheesy flavor, it is particularly attractive to vegan eaters who want or miss the flavor of cheese, but not the dairy itself. I use it in sauces and gratin or cheese dishes, such as mac and cheese. I also sprinkle this goodness into recipes using real dairy for added nutrition and depth of flavor.
Nutritional yeast is full of nutrients, rich in B vitamins, selenium, potassium, fiber (about 4 grams per 2 tablespoons), and protein (an incredible 8 grams per 2 tablespoons!).
Hope you enjoy it! To your health and happiness!
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 1 hour - overnight)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 - 3 tbsp pure water (depends on your desired consistency)
- lemon juice to taste (I use the juice of 1 lemon)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes
- Pulse the cashews and nutritional yeast in a food processor until chunky.
- Drizzle in the water and lemon juice until you reach a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Add more more as desired.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes and pulse until well combined.
- Keep it refrigerated for up to one week!