Guacamole-ish Sensation Avocado and Cilantro Pesto
I never thought it possible, but having made weekly batches of pesto with all the crazy abundance of basil from my garden, I'm growing tired of pesto. Thankfully, it's not so hard to keep things fresh in the kitchen by tweaking ingredients. Basil, avocado, cilantro, rucola, and lime are among the staple foods I adore, so it's easy to switch around these ingredients for pesto to keep from getting bored.
Bored with your standby basil pesto? Add avocado.
Bored with avocado pesto? Switch to cilantro.
You officially now have a guacamole-ish sensation pesto. Enjoy!
To your health and happiness! xx, Juli
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, plus more if needed (preferably organic)
- juice and zest of 1 lime (if you hate lime, substitute 1/2 a lemon, but you need this to keep your pesto bright green)
- 2 cups cilantro, washed, dried, and stemmed
- 1 cup rucola
- 1/2 to 1 whole avocado (perfectly ripe, not mushy)
- pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- pinch of peperoncino (dried chili flakes, optional)
- In a food processor, whiz garlic, pine nuts, and olive oil until minced.
- Add cilantro, rucola, and lime and whiz again until everything is finely blended.
- Add in the avocado about two tablespoons at a time until it reaches the creaminess you desire.
- Spoon onto pasta, rice noodles, soba noodles, or as shown onto raw zoodles (spiralised zucchini noodles) and add a pinch of peperoncino if you like a little spice!