Ultra Hydrating Refreshing Antioxidant Packed Whole Fruit Watermelon Coconut Juice
Composed of more than 90% water, watermelon is nature's answer to a sweltering summer. Cut into wedges, it can be devoured by hot and thirsty kids after sport, and mom can be assured that the fruit will not only hydrate her kids, but that watermelon's L-citrulline will help relax blood vessels and improve circulation—making it the perfect sport drink (it's been studied and shown to soothe sore post-athletic muscles!). And from its bright red color, we know it's loaded with cancer fighting lycopene (making it, along with tomatoes, one of the best dietary sources for this important phytonutrient), as well as the immune system protecting and skin beautifying antioxidant vitamin C—C as in crucial for collagen!
This "juice" (it's actually more a liquidy smoothie because it uses the whole fruit) is a super hydrating and refreshing summer drink everyone in the family will love! And, it's also simple to make—every single day while the season lasts. I use my NutriBullet so it gets incredibly smooth, but you can use a regular blender too.
Ingredients for 2 litres
- enough watermelon to make 1 litre (about 4 cups, preferably chilled, but just add more ice if needed)
- 3/4 cup organic coconut water
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1/2 - 1 cup pure sparkling water such as San Pellegrino, Valser, or Gerolsteiner (optional)
- few sprigs of mint, plus more to garnish (optional)
- 1 - 2 cups of ice (depending on how chilled and slushy you like it)
- Blend the watermelon and raspberries into a liquid puree
- Add coconut water and blend well.
- Add mint and ice and blend until frothy.
- Top up with a little sparkling water if you like it effervescent.
- Chill if you used room temperature watermelon or not enough ice to make it cold.
- Serve when properly chilled.
To your health and happiness! xx, Juli