Banana Walnut Chia Bread: A Gluten And Dairy Free Spin On A Tradition
Who doesn’t love good old fashioned banana bread? My family and I love it, but what I don’t love is the gluten (I don't have Celiac, but I have to limit it pretty strictly otherwise I will look perpetually pregnant) and the naughty sugar. Healthibella's banana bread is protein rich with ground almonds, chopped walnuts, and organic eggs, swaps wheat flour for the goodness of oat flour (be sure to buy certified gluten free oat flour if you’re gluten sensitive), and has some amazing extra superfood strength from Chia seeds and coconut oil. Sweetened with mashed bananas and a little low fructose coconut sugar, it’s perfect for breakfast or tea time! I like to serve it warm with Healthibella's Raw Sugar Free Raspberry Chia Jam.
I hope you enjoy this spin on traditional banana bread!
To your health and happiness! xx, Juli
- 250g oat flour (certified gluten free)
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 250ml rice or almond milk
- 100ml coconut oil (melted)
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 mashed bananas
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar (optional; less or omit if you prefer less sweet)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C degrees.
- Using about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, oil a loaf pan so the bread slips out easily and the bread bakes with a golden brown crust.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: oat flour, ground almonds, chopped walnuts, Chia seeds, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl (I use my Kitchen Aid), blend together the wet ingredients: rice milk, coconut oil, eggs, bananas, coconut sugar and vanilla extract.
- While the mixer is running on low, add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture in three batches.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan until it’s about 60% full as the bread will need the space to rise.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, then remove from pan. This bread is delicious served warm with my Raspberry Chia Jam. Enjoy!